In this case, a “cheap” eat would mean something below P50.
I have to put the word “cheap” in quotes because of the negative connotations attached to it. Someone I talk to suggests “value-for-money” but the term strikes me as long-winded. Anyway, I’m focusing on “cheap-er” food this week, and for me, that’s anything below P50 and edible.
My cheap eat is suman, a steamed rice cake of which there are several variations. My favorite is the suman sa lihiya, so called because the uncooked rice grains are soaked in lye which acts as a preservative and tenderizer. The lye is then (supposedly!) washed off and the rice grains are formed into their distinctive cylinder shape and wrapped in banana leaves. Whether they be boiled or steamed, the lye and, I would imagine, the banana leaves as well, contribute a greenish-yellow tinge (see photo) to the now cooked suman.
My favorite way to eat suman is with a spoonful of white sugar that I dip the suman into. Sometimes, if I come across a jar of coconut jam in the market, that’s good too. Locally known as latik, coconut jam is made from coconut cream (first press) and brown or muscovado sugar. It’s sweet and sticky enough to leave a trail from mouth to hand. Frankly, I prefer it this way instead of with the more traditional suman at mangga (suman and mango).
Price of a suman: just P5.
So this week, share a photo of Your Favorite “Cheap” Eat (anything below P50). Please include the PRICE of your snack. This photo can be taken with any camera or camera phone. What matters is that you open an OVI account. If you’ve already got one, then this should be easy for you.
- Create an OVI account and activate your OVI email address.
- Upload a photo into my OVI share folder (Yes, you can really drop a photo into my folder!) Just in case you’re prompted for a password to my folder, it’s “food”.
- For every photo you enter (yup, send multiple photos if you like!), please include your name, your OVI email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a short description about your photo.
1. This week’s contest is open from Oct. 12-18, 2009.
2. Get your photo(s) in for this week’s theme by Sunday, Oct. 18, at 11:59 PM.
3. The prize for this week is P2,000.00 worth of Ayala Electronic Gift Check (as good as cash!)
4. You need to be a resident of the Philippines.
Announcement of the winner of DiscOVIries by Nokia Week 2 will be tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 13.
There’s a grand prize to be given at the end of the 8 weeks: a brand new NOKIA phone!
Kudos to OVI by Nokia for making this contest possible.