100 tickets, 33 dishes and desserts, 11 raffle prizes, 1 epic anniversary party.
When I threw the very first Dessert Comes First Party back in 2006, the website wasn’t even a year old yet. Five years later in 2011, Dessert Comes First is still here but it’s completely different from what it was back then. In the years since that first party, countless people have asked me to throw another party but I never did so for one reason or another.
This year my baby, Dessert Comes First, turns 6 and I feel that it’s the best time – the right time – to throw another party. This party is a TRIBUTE to all the home bakers that I’ve championed from the very beginning of DCF’s existence and also an honor shown to the amazing food purveyors that I’ve met. It’s also in recognition and thanks to DCF readers, because without them, the website wouldn’t be what it is today.
And so I present with much pride:
I’m very pleased to have this event sponsored by Selecta Hershey’s and Boyd Coffee Company. In addition, the party is presented by Fully Booked and Stratworks, Inc in cooperation with StarWorld, my event’s official media partner. StarWorld will be producing a 90-seconder of the event that will be looped on the network several times a day for two weeks after the event. My good friends at Starbucks will also be on hand to provide free-flowing coffee to help wash down those desserts. (And no, for those who are wondering, Boyd and Starbucks are NOT competitors).
The party will have two major segments: the Eating and the Raffle. For this event, I’ve invited my absolute favorite, no-holds-barred, pull-out-all-the-plugs, hands-down-best bakers. These are the people I have on speed-dial and whom I call when I need a dessert and don’t want to be disappointed. I’m humbled and delighted with their decision to participate in my event. Some of these people are also serving up some savory foods to balance out all that sugar. Killer stuff all, I tell you.
Here’s what you can expect. I’ll be featuring each of these bakers separately on the website in the days to come.
My Bakers and their 33 Dishes And Desserts:
- Jill Sandique of Dèlize: 2 types of sansrival: Pistachio And Pili, 3 cookies: Jam Thumbprints, Sesame Spice Cookies, Chocolate Chubbies
- Ann Puno of Ann’s Kitchen: Choc-Nut Cupcakes, Double Chocolate Choc-Nut Cupcakes
- Karen Young of Karen’s Kitchen: Sticky Toffee Pudding, Craisin Bread, Chicken Cotton Wheat Bread
- Cristina Santiago-Rivera of Sweet Bella Desserts: Trio Mousse, Adriana, Caribbean, Banoffee
- Roselyn Tiangco of Kitchen’s Best: Mango Sansrival, White Chocolate-Macadamia Brittle Cheesecake, Plaisir Sucré
- Gina Lopez of Paisley Pastry: Carrot Cake Cupcakes, Cruffles (a cross between crinkle and truffle), and “Bekon.” (I urge you to wait for my feature on this!)
- Len Lo of Carla & Elaine’s: Almond Toffee Cupcakes, Peppermint Brownies
- Tina Raines of Tina’s Pie Outlet – 4 savory pies: Salmon & Prawns, Cheese Steak, Beef & San Miguel Light, Callos
- Gail Ang of Simply Pie – 2 mini quiches: Spinach, Feta & Sun-Dried Tomato; Mushroom and Sour Cream
- Ricky Morelos of Dulcelin: Pork buns with Kurabota Pork cooked sous-vide humba-style, Red Rice with Lettuce & Shrimp, Mango Torte
- Paeng Soon of Ma Chicken Mami House: Special Mami & Honey-BBQ Siopao (Paeng’s name might sound familiar. Yes, he’s the owner of North Park and Ma Chicken Mami House is his new baby).
And what’s a party without prizes, yes? For my 6th Anniversary, I want to offer my readers some of the most desired and most-talked about food and restaurants that I’ve featured on Dessert Comes First. These are:
The 11 Raffle Prizes:
- Bone Marrow Burger Lunch for 2 at Elbert’s Steak Room
- Degustation Meal for 2 and Kouing-Aman for dessert at Ciçou
- Meal for 2 at any restaurant of Chef Ed Bugia (Pino, Pipino, BRGR:The Burger Project)
- ”The President” Meal for 2 at Myron’s. (The President is Myron’s take on an incredible Peter Luger-style steak, 500 grams of Certified Angus Beef served in its juices).
- Meal for 4 at the Mandarin Oriental’s Paseo Uno
- Dinner Buffet for 4 at the Peninsula Manila’s Escolta restaurant
- Overnight Weekend Stay for 2 in a Superior Room at the Peninsula Manila + Buffet Breakfast at Escolta
- An appetime Watch from the appetime PIPS Fruits Collection
- 3 of my favorite food photos blown-up and framed
Sound good? Want a ticket?
Here are the Contest Mechanics:
I wish I could invite everyone but because venue space dictates otherwise, I’ve chosen this alternative:
- Have a picture taken of yourself eating a dessert. It can be your favorite dessert but it MUST be a dessert.
- If you’d like to bring someone to the event, make sure BOTH of you are in the photo. Group photos (meaning all of you want to be at the event) are allowed, although the maximum is 4 persons in a photo.
- You can send me up to 2 photos but photo must be hi-res and AT LEAST 1024 x 768 in size or 150 dpi. Larger sized photos are of course, allowed.
- Send photo(s) with the following information: YOUR NAME (plus names of other people in the photo [if applicable], EMAIL ADDRESS, MOBILE # (if you’re part of a group, just 1 number will do), CAPTION of photo.
- Email photo to email@example.com with the subject heading:
WE WANT TO BE AT THE DCF 6TH ANNIVERSARY PARTY!
PLEASE follow the instructions above. Entries with incomplete “requirements” will be ignored. To help me go through the entries, I’ve enlisted the help of a panel of people whose food tastes I trust completely. We will be reviewing the entries and giving out tickets based on the photo’s creativity and execution. Of course a witty caption helps too.
Acceptance of entries begins today, February 28, 2011 until 12 noon of March 15, 2011.
Those who have nabbed a ticket will be emailed privately with further instructions. Winners must have a picture ID to show at the venue and there will be a P500 fee per person.
I’m really excited about this party, everyone. It’s something I’m working very hard on with the help of some really talented people. I hope you can be there.
To get the ball rolling and to give you an idea of what I’m looking for, here are some photos taken of my friends who gamely had their photos taken and the accompanying captions.
- “Mine, mine, all mine! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”
- “If you don’t open your mouth and eat this already, we ain’t never gonna make it to that party!”
- “Dessert is sexy and Lori knows it.”
- “33 desserts and dishes at that party, you say? No sweat.”
- “Sweet and simple does it, just like this rootbeer float.”
- Even noted Chef Ed Quimson wanted a photo taken of himself. This was shot during his recent birthday party which explains the slightly pink-faced intoxication.