Words: Lori Baltazar
Photos: Lori Baltazar
Dessert Comes First is read by the best people on the planet: people who understand and love food. This post is dedicated to them.
- The first 2 early birds were, surprisingly enough, guys! EJ Paz and Carli Recio. They were rewarded with a box of 6 mini quiches from Gail Ang of Simply Pie.
- (L-R): Monique Eugenio, owner of Myron’s; Mariel Luna, owner of Kanin Club and Cafe Breton; Christine and Robert Francisco of Boyds Coffee
- Chef Ed Bugia at left, clutching the 3 GCs for the raffle.
- The event’s photographer, Aldwin Aspillera, taking a kurabota pork cuapao break.
- With Bernie and Serena, two girls whose party spirit and vibe I found super contagious.
- 5 of DCF’s most faithful followers (L-R): Katrina, Tina, Jana, Garch, and Ouie
- Noted food photographer Mark Floro’s work graces the billboards of EDSA. I’m lucky to be able to call him my mentor. He’s taught me everything I know about taking memorable food shots.
- My favorite duo whom I call the “Butchi Brothers.” For all their kookiness, I found them quite shy but that didn’t make them any less likable.
- People who make me happy (L-R): one of my tech idols, Jayvee; Didi, Mark, and Nel
- Cristina Santiago-Rivera and fans of Sweet Bella
- Laurie and Lori. Laurie works for a hotel and she once sent me a dessert once a month for 4 months and joined my food writing workshop, all in an effort to meet me. When we finally met, she was every bit as sweet as her notes to me were. I’m thrilled we share the same name, albeit different spelling.
- My crew, the closest thing I have to a barkada. They always have my back — and appetites to match mine.
- With Jay Perez and his office mates and friends. The girl in green, Mika – I’m told – is a big fan of mine but she was so shy, she had to be cajoled to have this picture taken. I was much amused and very delighted to meet all of them.Yo guys, I’m still waiting for those bacon cupcakes!
- “C’mon, c’mon, there’s always room for one more bite of dessert,” says Laurie.
- Good friends, all: Laurie, Ouie, and Garch all work in the hotel industry; Mark is a professional photographer.
- The bakers and I in a post-event huddle chatting excitedly about the party.
- Signing one of my food photos that Joan and her boyfriend, AJ, won. I so admire the body jewelry on these two!
- The Lifestyle Section team of Fully Booked. They handle the Cookbooks section, the one area I spend so much time in that we all know each other.
- I owe the success of my event to the StratWorks team; they made everything seem so easy when I thought I was about to go out of my mind. Here we are following the directions of Aldwin the photographer to “Be sexy!” Only Nel and I took him seriously which just goes to show what goofballs we are.
- This is K, the assistant I never knew I needed and my good friend of almost 10 years. While preparing for the DCF Anniversary Party, she was among the key people who propped me up and calmed me down when I most needed it.